Principal Consultant - Systems Engineering
- Play a key role in exciting rail, transportation & other engineering projects
- Friendly, dynamic engineering and management service provider
- Attractive remuneration package, employee assistance program, regular staff events and meaningful opportunities for career growth
Combining a range of systems engineering, systems and safety assurance, human factors, and management services, Acmena offers a uniquely integrated approach. As an ethically driven company, we focus on the projects that matter, those that bring benefit to their local communities.
Specialising in highly regulated industries, we help our clients to develop fully integrated, human-centred systems that are safe, reliable, and fit for purpose.
Acmena has offices in Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne with a staff of over 30 specialists. Spanning a variety of industries, our team is engaged on major infrastructure and technology projects across the country, including the Digital Systems Program, Cross River Rail and Sydney Metro.
Our talented, multi-discipline team has been built on the shared values of integrity, collaboration, and engineering excellence. Through the strength of our team, we have become one of the most trusted service providers in Australia with a reputation for delivering pragmatic, cost-effective support tailored to the needs of the client and end user.
At Acmena, we understand that people are at the core of our capability and success. As an equal-opportunities employer, we believe that diversity and inclusion not only drive innovation but are vital to our ability to offer a unique combination of expertise and experience to our clients.
This is why are committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourage applications from Indigenous Australians, people with disabilities, diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, LGBTIQ+ and mature age workers, as we seek to expand our portfolio and explore exciting new opportunities across a range of different industries.
About the role
Acmena is seeking principal systems engineering consultants who have a passion for making a difference, who are flexible, client-focused and committed to developing themselves and others.
Reporting to the Victoria State Manager, you will be responsible for the efficient management and delivery of high-quality systems engineering services to clients. You will also be a member of Acmena’s systems engineering community and actively participate in the Centre of Excellence.
As a principal consultant you will be highly experienced in systems engineering practices applied to complex, safety-critical, socio-technical systems, particularly in the rail domain. You will be responsible for the efficient planning and delivery of high-quality systems engineering services to clients.
You will be responsible for the planning, direction, and overall management of Acmena engineering teams in the delivery of projects to clients within the related designated practice.
You will develop and deliver services using advanced systems engineering practices and be considered experienced in one or more core systems engineering competency areas.
You will exercise a high degree of independence in approach, while displaying a considerable degree of originality, ingenuity, and judgement in formulating solutions or resolving complex systems engineering issues. Your work products will be accurate and authoritative, requiring no supervision to achieve successful outcomes for our clients. Your advice and actions are expected to expedite successful achievements in your areas of expertise.
You will also help develop and grow the business in all areas by assisting with tender and sales activities. Where possible you will identify opportunities for new or follow-on work, following up leads in areas of expertise within Acmena in and outside your own field and fostering good relationships with existing and potential clients.
As Principal Systems Engineering Consultant, your accountabilities include:
- Tendering, planning, and executing projects.
- Leading teams of consultants.
- Business development.
- Developing yourself and supporting others.
- Documenting user, business, system and design requirements, options analysis and decisions made in progressing to recommended solutions.
- Development of systems engineering management plans and reports.
- Requirements elicitation and development.
- Requirements management using tools such as DOORS Next, including managing traceability and change control management.
- Architecture development using tools such as MagicDraw.
- Interface identification and management.
- Verification and validation activities.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- Degree in electrical/electro-mechanical engineering, electronics, communication, or similar technical disciplines.
- Master’s degree or professional certifications are an advantage.
- Twelve or more years of systems engineering consulting, with a proven track record of customer focus, including the ability to foster long-term client relationships.
- Experience interpreting and applying relevant standards and best practices in engineering delivery projects (e.g., INCOSE handbook, CENELEC 50126, IEC 15288, ISO/IEC 26702 (IEEE 1220).
- Experience leading or guiding multiple/large project teams on system scope and technical processes.
- Ten years’ experience in the use of DOORS or other requirements management tools.
- Ten years’ experience in the rail industry or other transportation industry.
- Advanced communication skills, including business writing and presentations.
- Experience in engineering of mainline or mass transit systems involving train control, signalling, SCADA or communication deliveries in railway projects.
- Working experience across the full systems engineering lifecycle, from requirements definition through to commissioning of safety critical and high reliability systems.
- Working knowledge of safety processes.
- Well-developed analytical and judgement skills for solving complex problems and evaluating alternative courses of action.
- Demonstrated knowledge of requirement management tools (usage and maintenance).
- Demonstrated knowledge of change control management tools and processes.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communications skills.
- IBM certification and expertise in other IBM Engineering Requirements Management software products is desirable.
- Commercial experience in business development activities and articulating the value of systems engineering.
Principal Consultant - Systems Engineering