Principal Consultant - Systems Assurance
- Play a key role in exciting rail, transportation & other engineering projects
- Friendly, dynamic engineering and management service provider
- Attractive remuneration package, employee assistance program, regular staff events and meaningful opportunities for career growth
Combining a range of systems engineering, systems and safety assurance, human factors, and management services, Acmena offers a uniquely integrated approach. As an ethically driven company, we focus on the projects that matter, those that bring benefit to their local communities.
Specialising in highly regulated industries, we help our clients to develop fully integrated, human-centred systems that are safe, reliable, and fit for purpose.
Acmena has offices in Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne with a staff of over 30 specialists. Spanning a variety of industries, our team is engaged on major infrastructure and technology projects across the country, including the Digital Systems Program, Cross River Rail and Sydney Metro.
Our talented, multi-discipline team has been built on the shared values of integrity, collaboration, and engineering excellence. Through the strength of our team, we have become one of the most trusted service providers in Australia with a reputation for delivering pragmatic, cost-effective support tailored to the needs of the client and end user.
At Acmena, we understand that people are at the core of our capability and success. As an equal-opportunities employer, we believe that diversity and inclusion not only drive innovation but are vital to our ability to offer a unique combination of expertise and experience to our clients.
This is why are committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourage applications from Indigenous Australians, people with disabilities, diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, LGBTIQ+ and mature age workers, as we seek to expand our portfolio and explore exciting new opportunities across a range of different industries.
About the role
Acmena is seeking principal systems assurance consultants who have a passion for making a difference, who are flexible, client-focused and committed to developing themselves and others.
Reporting to the <Add State> Manager, you will be responsible for the efficient management and delivery of high-quality system safety and RAM (reliability, availability, maintainability) assurance services to clients. You will also be a member of Acmena’s systems assurance community and actively participate in the Centre of Excellence.
As a principal consultant you will be highly experienced in system safety and RAM assurance practices applied to complex, safety-critical, socio-technical systems, particularly in the rail domain. You will be responsible for the efficient planning and delivery of high-quality system safety and RAM assurance practices services to clients.
You will be responsible for the planning, direction, and overall management of Acmena engineering teams in the delivery of projects to clients within the related designated practice.
You will develop and deliver services using advanced system safety and RAM assurance practices and be considered experienced in system safety assurance and/or RAM engineering competency areas.
You will exercise a high degree of independence in approach, while displaying a considerable degree of originality, ingenuity, and judgement in formulating solutions or resolving complex systems assurance issues. Your work products will be accurate and authoritative, requiring no supervision to achieve successful outcomes for our clients. Your advice and actions are expected to expedite successful achievements in your areas of expertise.
You will also help develop and grow the business in all areas by assisting with tender and sales activities. Where possible you will identify opportunities for new or follow-on work, following up leads in areas of expertise within Acmena in and outside your own field and fostering good relationships with existing and potential clients.
As Principal Systems Assurance Consultant, your accountabilities include:
- Tendering, planning, and executing projects.
- Leading teams of consultants.
- Business development.
- Developing yourself and supporting others.
- Documenting user, business, system and design requirements, options analysis and decisions made in progressing to recommended solutions.
- Development of systems assurance management plans (safety and RAM or RAMS) and reports.
- Safety control elicitation and development.
- Hazard log management using tools such as DOORS Next, including managing traceability between hazards, causes, controls, and system requirements.
- Implementing and co-ordinating systems assurance programs of work, including RAMS (Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety) analysis using tools such as Relyence.
- Leading the development of system safety cases to argue system safety has been achieved on a project.
- Leading safety and RAM impact assessment in configuration and change management processes.
- Coordinating technical and systems assurance reviews.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- Degree in electrical/electro-mechanical engineering, or electronics or communication, or similar technical disciplines.
- Master’s degree or professional certifications are advantageous.
- Twelve or more years of system safety and/or RAM assurance, with a proven track record of delivering pragmatic, customer focused, safe and available solutions, including the ability to foster long-term client relationships.
- Experience interpreting and applying relevant systems, safety and reliability engineering and assurance processes, standards, and best practices, such as the INCOSE handbook, CENELEC EN50126, EN50128 & EN50129, IEC 15288, iESM, CSM or equivalent.
- Experience leading or guiding multiple/large project teams on system safety or RAM processes.
- Ten years’ experience in the use of DOORS/DOORS Next or other hazard log management tools.
- Ten years’ experience using system safety and RAM analysis tools such as Relyence.
- Ten years’ experience in the rail industry or equivalent highly regulated industry.
- Advanced communication skills, including technical writing and non-technical presentations.
- Working experience across the full systems engineering lifecycle, from requirements definition through to commissioning of safety critical and high reliability systems.
- Well-developed analytical and judgement skills for solving complex problems and evaluating alternative courses of action.
- Demonstrated knowledge of change control management tools and processes.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communications skills.
- Commercial experience in business development activities and articulating the value of system safety and RAM assurance.
Principal Consultant - Systems Assurance